I’ve been doing some cleaning up around Glasses and Glitter, trying to figure out why my site is not well ranking in Google. Last week haphazardly I figured out one of my main issues and from there I’ve been on a mission to fix. Some of you may know I’m an avid reader, a few week back I picked up a copy FREE Google: Free SEO, Social Media, and AdWords Resources from Google for Small Business Marketing book and I was damnnnn I been doing this wrong!!! Like Really!!
Previously I’d been giving alot of my attention to Facebook and Twitter, because they are easier, my friends are there, and Google Plus is kinda the place where people go because they “have to” not because they want to! LOL However in this book I learned a number of not well known principles for Google’s SEO and how Google Plus is a must have to rank!
Here are my 5 top reasons:
- Google Plus content is indexed quicker by Google, it will gain page rank and therefore end up in Google searches. Since 2/3 of the searches in US take place in Google, you need to be there.
- Google Plus post have longevity. Majority of tweets have a “shelf life” of 14 minutes. Google Plus stays indefinitely and some post can still rank over a year after being orignally posted.
- Ever heard of Google Authorship? Google Authorship is tied to content authority. It’s been proved that people are more likely to click on your post if they see your picture. If an author’s post received a plus one, the potential is there to rank higher in Google. Google Authorship and Google Plus will provide great signals to Google for you SEO!
- Links from other websites to Google Plus content can PASS PAGE RANK TO THAT LINK!!!
- Using a Hashtags on Google Plus connects every post to a search of that hashtags, and can potentially rank for keywords in normail
Social signals are becoming the new SEO with Penguin and Panda updates. Why not post and thrive on Google’s own social network. Google Plus is Google!!! Check out the picture below to see what matters when setting up your profile.
I still have some updating to do, but at least I have the basics down. I had NOTHING before!!! I was just like dang I’m slipping!!
Quick Pointers I Missed!
The highlighted area in your profile are dofollow links!! You can have as many as you like, but only in the introduction area, the other links are now marked as nofollow. You can use this to anchor your keywords or just create a link to your blog. Additionally your city and tag line are considered meta data and will help you rank as well. Win Win!
Correctly Linking Post
Your post should be linked in the correct manner, as an attachment NOT IN THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE. If you include the link in the googlebots read it and index it. If it is in the body of the “share what’s new” you will not get the credit.
Because I know Jesus would like me to “give back” more. I am going to host a giveaway to anyone who creates a Google plus page. Check out my next post. It’s called “Pay It Forward.”
In the meantime, am I the only one who was in the dark about this?!?!?!?